Tuesday 7 February 2012

Envelope cushion cover tutorial

I said on my facebook page about a million weeks ago that I would be putting a cushion tutorial on here and FINALLY here it is.


Obviously I meant to keep you waiting to build up your excitement (I made cushion and forgot to take photo's of the stages) but now I think you've waited long enough.


My cover was for a cushion insert that was 18x18 inches but I've tried to explain so you can easily adapt to fit whichever size you need, the measurements include your seam allowance!
Lets go....


You will need:
Fabric (I used different for front and back)
Sewing machine
Thread
Pins
Scissors or rotary cutter and Matt
A cushion insert

I like to use separate fabric for the front because you can get awesome panels or fat quarters and use them.
 The front piece needs to be 1 inch bigger than your cushion all round so for my 18"x 18" cushion my fabric needs to be 19"x 19" (you want the fabric to be snug round the pillow/cushion but not so tight its half bursting out).
For the back piece you want the width to be an inch bigger than the cushion as before but you want to add 5 inches to the length, so for my cushion the back piece will be 19"x 23".




Take your BACK piece, find the middle and cut in half!


OK now we want to hem one long side on each of these, this will be the opening on the back.
Fold about a quarter of an inch over and press, then fold over again, press, pin and sew!


Take your FRONT piece and lie down right side facing UP then line up your BACK pieces on top right sides facing DOWN overlapping your hems.



Pin these all the way around and sew, you don't need to leave an opening because you already have a great big one on the back! (don't forget to trim your corners so they turn out nicely).


Now simply turn the right way out and pop your cushion in! BA DA BING!!



I hope you found that helpful and easy to follow, I'd love your constructive feedback and if you would like one made just ask, Ciao for now x

No comments:

Post a Comment